Podcasts By Year2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, Upcoming Shows
Show #036: Kurt RambisBy: Darrin Snider (darrin at indyintune dot com)
Thursday, April 23, 2009 8:00:00 PM
|Click to Play or Right-Click/Save As to Download Podcast|
You know, you spend 20+ years in the music scene, you think you know how it is and what's going on, then some 20-something-year-old upstart kids essentially call you an old fart and show you an entire subculture that you were barely aware even existed.
Somehow, I always knew I'd be the old fart one day. Thanks for the education guys!
Kurt Rambis is one of the leading bands in Indy's basement/underground/DIY scene, which combines the grass-roots work ethic of the Indie scene, combined with the angst and wit of the 70's punk scene, and packages it up with energetic, passion-filled, original music. It's not for everybody, but I'm increasingly convinced that everybody should sample it at least once before they pass judgment on it. You'd be surprised at the sophistication and intelligence that lurks beneath its simple, rough exterior.
Links referenced in the show:
- Kurt Rambis can be found here: MySpace.
- Drummer Skyler Rowe is a busy boy who also performs skin bashing duties for the hardcore bands Axis and Allies, Picked Clean, Punish Fuck.
- They regularly practice at The 1511, a house/show spot located in the southern Broad Ripple area.
- They are named for, but should not be confused with, the 4-time world champion basketball palyer and coach.
- The EP, available on their MySpace page was recorded at Ruckus Recording Studio.
- Their next project will most-likely be a split 7" vinyl release with Sex Before Marriage. Followed by a proper EP.
- The fourth track was inspired by the events surrounding of Heather Norris. You can learn more about her tragic story here.
- If you're looking for other shows and venues in Indianapolis' DIY/underground scene, check out other great house venues such as Halloween House, Moria the Basement, and the Empty Bucket.
- If you would like to book a show at the 1511, go through the Indianapolis Hardcore Page.
- This week's promo, in honor of Todd Heaton's love of leftist politics, is for the Sooner Thought Podcast.
- Just a couple hours left to win the Shelby Kelley CD, and a few days for the April Prize Pack. You can enter both contests on our web site.
- Indy In-Tune is proud to co-sponsor the 8 Seconds Saloon Battle of the Bands. You can learn more about the dates and participants at other co-sponsor, 97.1 Hank FM's web site. (Now, do you see them plugging us or linking to this site? I think not.)
- Anybody interested in what is either "The Innaugural Musicians Night Out" or just a night of drinking with some band geeks, should use this RSVP form.
Happy Record Store Day!
Jeremy Vogt Band - Finalist in Breakout Bands Contest (We need your vote)
|Darrin Snider is the OCD music nerd responsible for creating Indy In-Tune. By day he's a cloud engineer and business analyst, but he still hopes to someday be an overnight freeform disc jockey married to the local weathergirl who happens to be a former eastern-European supermodel.|
Blog comments powered by Disqus