Podcasts By Year2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, Upcoming Shows
Show #068: The New Finland RadicalsBy: Darrin Snider (darrin at indyintune dot com)
Tuesday, December 8, 2009 7:00:00 PM
|Click to Play or Right-Click/Save As to Download Podcast|
There's something about the power trio format. From Buddy Holly and the Crickets to The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Cream, the three-man rock lineup seems to be synonymous with long instrumental jams, heavy guitar chords, and ultra-tight rock played with an air of complexity to it. Though it has pretty much fallen out of popularity in recent years (yeah, okay Rush still tours), the carriers of that tradition still largely fall into the same category of extended jams played by top notch musicians. In that vein, this week marks another, somewhat self-indulgent, episode for me featuring another relatively unknown band that I, personally, just sort of fell in love with recently. The New Finland Radicals are a power trio that draws their influences from a diverse selection of musical stylings including King Crimson, Radiohead, Sonic Youth, David Bowie, and the Beach Boys.
Though the band has been playing together in one form or another for quite some time, they are relatively new to the live scene (hence one of the main purposes of this podcast). The shows they have played thus far have been very well received by fans and fellow musicians, however, and they are a fun, easy-going group of guys to work with -- making them a band to watch in the months to come as their self-promotional and marketing campaigns kick in to gear not just locally, but on a regional level as well. In the meantime, they have a good repertoire of songs ready to record and we look forward to their new EP release early next year.
Links referenced in the show:
- The New Finland Radicals can be found here: MySpace | Facebook.
- Their six-song Demo/EP was self produced in their basement studio and is available for FREE by contacting them via their MySpace page.
- Though we sort of poked fun at it, you can check out the CD's artwork here.
- Check out the video for Lincoln Avenue here.
- Gear-heads and analog synth aficionados should note they use the Roland SP-404SX Sampler and the Korg MicroKORG XL 37-key Protable Music Synthesizer on the track Where's Brian (and others).
- Though their live gigs have been somewhat sparse, they are favorites at both Birdy's Live as well as the Ram-Z Music Fest.
- Special thanks to the Alley Cat in Broad Ripple, for accomodating our acoustic, volume, and frothy beverage needs.
- The New Finland Radicals are entrants in the 2010 Podcast Battle of the Bands ... sponsored by Blue Square Sound and Indy In-Tune. For details on entering, listening to, or voting in the battle, check out our official Battle Page.
Show #067: Goliathon
Show #069: Gypsy Revival
|Darrin Snider is the OCD music nerd responsible for creating Indy In-Tune. By day he's a cloud engineer and business analyst, but he still hopes to someday be an overnight freeform disc jockey married to the local weathergirl who happens to be a former eastern-European supermodel.|
Blog comments powered by Disqus