Podcasts By Year2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, Upcoming Shows
Show #098: Sleeper CellBy: Darrin Snider (darrin at indyintune dot com)
Sunday, March 27, 2011 5:00:00 PM
|Click to Play or Right-Click/Save As to Download Podcast|
This week marks another foray into the largely-uncharted (by Indy
In-Tune at least) waters of Indianapolis' Hip Hop scene, this time with
the kindly assistance of former guest, and friend of the show, Brad Real
as our guide. I must admit, I'm having a lot of fun with these types
of musical excursions, particularly in the Hip Hop realm, which is
populated by some colorful, yet very accessible personalities who give
great interviews -- although their standard practice of giving credit to
large numbers of people with oddly-spelled nicknames makes Googling
links for the show notes a harrowing experience. This week we meet
Sleeper Cell, an innovative group that, for the past three years, has
continually pushed at the boundaries of the local music scene with their
diverse backgrounds in soul, funk, traditional rap, and music
production. We feature four tracks that highlight these different
aspects of their group and solo work -- old, new and as yet unreleased
-- and talk a bit about how each track came about through a process that
is more done by feel than by any methodology or set practice.
As has been my experience with Hip Hop artists, Sleeper Cell is
very generous in their work not only as a group, but as a part of a
larger, tightly knit community of artists. In addition to their work as
songwriters, performers, and producers, the Sleeper Cell Crew also work
behind the scenes as a marketing and promotion engine called Four See
Entertainment, where they combine their creative talents with savvy
business sense and industry experience (on both sides of the microphone)
into one of the better-organized and certainly most comprehensive
companies of its kind in the area. We talk a bit about those services,
as well as some of the challenges they face trying to walk that fine
line between artist and entrepreneur.
Links referenced in the show:
- Sleeper Cell can be found here: Web Site | Facebook | Reverb Nation | MySpace
- Co-host, Brad Real, can be found here: Web Site | Blog/Tumblr | Twitter | Facebook | MySpace | YouTube. He was the featured guest on Show #096.
- All of Sleeper Cell's work, including most side projects, can be found on the Four See Entertainment web site.
- Our second track, Walkin' This Road, is from Shay's (nee: Shay Richard Daily) debut solo project, Fight or Flight: Searching for Beautiful. (Also available at the above link.) The track features Verse on vocals and production by Travis "Kold Kut" Moore.
- The guys also run an artist marketing and promotions company called Four See Entertainment, which can be found here: Web Site | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
- Most recently the brought the legendary AZ to Indianapolis for a show.
- Our Third Track, Might Not Be, is a currently unreleased track primarily from Jason "Keen" Keenan.
- Ryan "Soul Sizzle" Marganti also runs a successful graphic design company in his "spare time."
- The fourth track, "Outcome" features A.C.E. O.N.E., Kaijowaan and C-Rayz Walz.
- The video for Ms. Fate that we discussed can be found here.
- Thanks to the fine folks at Studio C (aka: Claude and Annie's Fishers) for their fine hospitality, as always.
Show #097: Yukon Fox
Show #099: Jeff Randall and the Sunday Best
|Darrin Snider is the music nerd responsible for founding Indy In-Tune Radio and the Indy In-Tune Podcast. By day he's a cloud engineer, which is fun, but he hopes to be an overnight freeform disc jockey someday.|
Blog comments powered by Disqus