Podcasts By Year2022, 2021, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, Upcoming Shows
Show #103: New Finland Radicals ReturnBy: Darrin Snider (darrin at indyintune dot com)
Friday, August 26, 2011 5:00:00 PM
|Click to Play or Right-Click/Save As to Download Podcast|
I always thought there was something to the New Finland Radicals. Sure, the music isn't exactly mainstream, but it isn't so far off the beaten path that it's inaccessible. Their talents as musicians and composers (I'll use that word here in lieu of something as simplistic as "songwriters") is not in question. Their production skills show imagination and creativity, and their ability to try new approaches and incorporate new styles into their music is certainly an asset. They're well loved by fellow bands and usually have no trouble winning over at least a few fans in a crowd that may not have heard of them before. So, why aren't these guys bigger than they are? Well, after looking at how far they've come in the two years since they were last on, I'd say they're getting there, and dammit, I'm going to keep inviting them back until everybody sees my way on this.
I had a lot of fun the first time I met TNFR. After recording the show, we sat around and talked for another hour or so, at least, completely commandeering the jukebox at the Alley Cat in Broad Ripple (much to the grumblings of the patrons, who just didn't get the intricacies of Asia's progressive pop sensibilities, I suppose). Contrary to popular belief, I rarely get the chance to geek out about music with the guests on the show. Generally they've got to play a set or trot off to their jobs, or what have you, as the guys did this night. Fortunately, as is typical with second interviews, we got the chance to do it on mic this time. Also, as is typical, we had to edit out a lengthy discussion of the merits of Yes and Styx for fear of alienating the majority of our audience. If anybody wants to hear that discussion, buy me (or the New Finland Radicals) a round next time you see us and we'll be sure to talk your ear off about our passion for pretentious prog rock.
Links referenced in the show:
- New Finland Radicals can be found here ReverbNation | Facebook | MySpace
- They were last heard on Show #068 back in 2009.
- Their latest CD, The Brian Sessions, came out in may 2009 was recorded at the Music Garage by Chris Wodoc. This release features several re-recordings of tracks that were first demoed on the "Green CD" and played during their previous Indy In-Tune appearance.
- Many of the tracks can be found on their websites listed above. The CD can be purchased at their shows.
- They recently opened for the Bullet Boys at the Rock House Cafe
- Tonight's drinks were courtesy of Brian from Brownsburg and Jeff from Greenwood, who graciously donated to the "Guest Entertainment and Waitress Tip Fund" via our swag page.
- You can catch them at the Rock House Cafe on September 2 with Juggernott, Kalo, and Mojo Diesel
- You can catch an old interview from Dan McNeil and Localville on their YouTube page.
- And of course the one accolade I forgot to attribute (and pay them for) was coming in third place in our first Podcast Battle of the Bands back in 2010
- Permalink: http://www.indyintune.com/podcast/blogarchive.asp?article=261
Show #102: Jason Wells Returns
The Historic Vollrath Tavern: 1926 to 2011
|Darrin Snider is the OCD music nerd responsible for creating Indy In-Tune. By day he's a cloud engineer and business analyst, but he still hopes to someday be an overnight freeform disc jockey married to the local weathergirl who happens to be a former eastern-European supermodel.|
Blog comments powered by Disqus